Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 2 lbs (.9 kg) or more fresh pork, usually a pork rib roast
- 3 lbs (1.4 kg) head cabbage, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 lbs (.9 kg) can sauerkraut, drained (reserve juice for other use)
- 3/4 lb (.3 kg) dried beans
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 16 oz (448 grm) can tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) flour
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter
- 1 large onion, sliced
- Put meat in tall pot and cover with water and let it come to boil.
- Skim off foam, then add beans, let boil 1 hr or until meat and beans are almost done.
- Add canned tomatoes, drained sauerkraut, medium onion, and cabbage.
- Let boil 15 to 20 min more.
- In fry pan melt butter, add flour and large onion (cut up), cook until brown.
- Add some soup stock, if needed, and stir.
- Add to soup, let it come to boil for 10 minutes more.
- Serve with a good rye bread.
- "Sauerkraut juice is loaded with vitamin C that has been leached from the cabbage. It's a little too strong for most people's tastes to drink straight but 3 parts tomato juice and 1 part kraut juice is quite zesty and makes a fine Bloody Mary. A little bit in the soup would be good too". From Jim