Serves/Makes:1 9 x 13" pan
- 2-1/4 cups (525 ml) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) dairy sour cream
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). butter
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). salt
- 2 tsp (10 ml). vanilla
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). light corn syrup
- 1 cup (225 ml) coarsely chopped nuts
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) quartered candied cherries
- Combine sugar, sour cream, milk, butter, corn syrup and salt in a heavy 2 quarts (1900 ml) saucepan.
- Stir over moderate heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture reaches a boil.
- Boil over moderate heat 9 to 10 minutes to 238 degrees (125 C.) (soft ball stage). (Cook to 240 degrees (125 C.) if weather is damp.)
- Remove from heat and allow to stand until lukewarm or 110 degrees (45 C.) for about 1 hour.
- Add vanilla and beat until mixture just begins to lose its gloss and hold its shape. Requires very little beating.
- Quickly stir in nuts and cherries and pour into buttered pan.
- Let stand until firm before cutting.