Serves/Makes:2 to 3 dozen
- 2 packages dry yeast (roughly 2 tbsp)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 1 cup (225 ml) boiling water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) margarine or butter
- 2 tsp (10 ml) salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 4-1/2 cups (1050 ml) flour
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add the 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar, and set aside.
- Pour boiling water over the remaining 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar, the margarine, and salt.
- Add eggs, and stir well.
- Then add in the yeast mixture, and 2 cups (475 ml) of the flour.
- Beat with mixer until smooth.
- Add the rest of the flour (2 1/2 cups).
- Let rise for one hour, then refrigerate until cold.
- (Note: this can be refrigerated overnight)
- Roll out very thin (about 1/4-inch) on floured surface, and cut into 3-inch squares.
- Fry in hot oil until golden brown and puffy.
- Serve with butter and honey, or coated with granulated sugar.
- Found at recipeazaar.com