- 2 cups (475 ml) flour
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). sugar
- 2 cups (475 ml) water, lukewarm
- 1 tsp (5 ml). salt
- 1 pkg. dry yeast
- Stir dry ingredients together.
- Gradually stir in water.
- Continue to blend until mixture resembles a smooth paste.
- Cover with a towel and put in a warm place to ferment.
- Stir several times each day.
- In 2 to 3 days the starter will be ready to use.
- store starter in a glass jar or heavy plastic container in the refrigerator.
- Cover lightly allowing air to circulate.
- Every 3 or 4 days or after each use, the starter should be fed with 1 cup (225 ml) flour, 1 cup (225 ml) milk and 1/4 cup (60 ml) sugar (or less depending on desired sweetness).
- Return to refrigerator and cover lightly.