- 2/3 cup (150 ml) superfine granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) water
- 1 cup (225 ml) seedless green grapes
- 20 fresh thyme sprigs (preferably lemon thyme)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp (10 ml) green cardamom pods* (about 25 per 2 tsp), crushed
- 2 750-ml bottles fruity white wine such as a dry Reisling
- Garnish: small (pesticide-free) edible flower blossoms such as Johnny-Jump-Ups or garden pea blossoms
- Stir together sugar and water in a bowl until sugar is dissolved.
- Crush grapes in a 2 quarts (1900 ml) pitcher or bowl with a potatoe masher.
- Add sugar syrup and remaining ingredients.
- Steep covered, and chilled, at least 8 hours.
- Pour sangria through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean pitcher.
- Serve over ice.
- Cooks note: Sangria can be steeped up to one day.
*Green cardamom pods available at Indian markets, specialty food shops and Kalustyan's (800-352-3451); kalustyans.com