Serves/Makes:4 lbs. approx.
- 5 lbs (2.3 kg). ground beef (least expensive is best)
- 5 tsp (25 ml). (rounded) Morton Tender Quick Salt
- 3 tsp (15 ml). whole mustard seed
- 3 tsp (15 ml). coarse ground pepper
- 2 tsp (10 ml). Hickory Smoke Salt
- 2-1/2 tsp (12.5 ml). garlic salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). whole black pepper
- Place ground beef in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix spices together.
- Gradually add spice mixture to meat, mixing thoroughly with your hands.
- Cover and refrigerate until next day.
- On day 2, mix well again. Cover and refrigerate.
- On day 3, mix again.
- Form 5 one pound logs and place on a broiler pan.
- Bake on lower rack of oven at 150 degrees (70 C.) for 8 hours.
- Turn salami's 1/4 turn every 2 hours.
- Salami will form its own crust.
- Freezes well.
- found at cooks.com