- 4 dried red New Mexico chiles, stems removed, crushed
- 4 fresh jalapeno or serrano chiles, stems removed, finely chopped
- 2 cups (475 ml) freshly grated coconut
- 2 cups (475 ml) cooked rice
- 1 tsp (5 ml). salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml). mustard seeds
- 2 tsp (10 ml). peanuts
- 2 tsp (10 ml). cashews
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
- several fresh whole red and green chiles for garnish
- Roast the coconut in a dry frying pan until it is golden brown, then mix in the rice and salt. Set aside.
- Heat the oil and fry the mustard seeds, peanuts, and cashews, but take care they do not burn.
- Pour the seasoning mixture over the rice and coconut, and
- mix well.
- Garnish with the whole red and green chiles.
- Editor's Note: Beware, looks like this recipe could be pretty spicy!