- Confetti Rice:
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cups (475 ml) long grain wild rice
- 4 cups (950 ml) chicken stock
- 1 cup (225 ml) fresh frozen green peas
- Annatto oil:
- 1 cup (225 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) annatto seeds
- To make oil:
- Bring 1 cup (225 ml) olive oil with 1/2 cup (125 ml) annatto seeds to almost a boil.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Strain oil and cool.
- Use about 1 tsp (5 ml) to 2 tsp (10 ml) in rice dishes.
- Confetti rice:
- Saute onions and peppers till soft but not browned.
- Stir in raw rice and cook a few minutes.
- Add the stock and annatto oil and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer until rice is tender.
- Let rest off the heat 5 minutes.
- Fluff with fork.
- Season to taste.
- Stir in thawed green peas.
- Note: Annatto seeds are achiote seeds. The seeds are simmered in oil to extract the orange yellow color used in many Hispanic dishes.
The colored oil may color grains, pastries , vegetables or even add a golden yellow color as a poultry baste.