King Ranch Chicken (Easy Version)
- Darla Cooper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup (225 ml) chicken broth (reserved from boiling breasts)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) to 3 tbsp (45 ml). butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes
- 1 large bag Tostitos Restaurant Style Tortilla Chips
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). grated velveeta cheese (or 2 bags, if bought)
- Boil chicken breasts until done.
- In the meantime, saute onion in butter and place in large bowl.
- Add soups and tomatoes to bowl with onions.
- When chicken is cooled, pull apart into shredded chunks.
- Stir chicken into other ingredients in bowl.
- Add approximately 4 cups (950 ml) of tortilla chips and crush them down into mixture with a fork to break them up, then stir them into mixture.
- Keep adding chips in this manner until bag is empty.
- Stir in enough broth to make mixture very slightly soupy.
- Spray large casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Add half of the mixture.
- Cover with half of the cheese.
- Add the other half of the mixture.
- Do not add the rest of the cheese until 15 minutes before done.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 25 minutes.
- Add cheese on top and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- When you have tasted this, you will never make ranch chicken the old way again.
Just be sure it is not soupy when it comes from the oven.
It should be slightly firm.