- Los Angeles Times
Serves/Makes:10 or more
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) softened unsalted butter
- 4 lbs (1.8 kg). sweet potatoes
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) heavy cream
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh thyme
- Generously butter a 2 quarts (1900 ml) gratin dish and set aside.
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees (225 C.).
- Peel the sweet potatoes.
- Using a mandoline or sharp knife, cut into slices one-fourth-inch thick.
- Arrange the slices in overlapping layers in the dish, seasoning each layer generously with salt and pepper.
- Combine the cream and thyme in a small bowl and mix well.
- Pour evenly over the potatoes, coating all exposed surfaces.
- Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil; continue baking until the sweet potatoes are soft and caramelized, 15 to 20 minutes longer.
- Total time: 1 hour and 20 minutes. Each serving: 202 calories; 2 grams protein; 20 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams fiber; 13 grams fat; 8 grams saturated fat; 46 mg. cholesterol; 45 mg. sodium.
Spicy sweet potato gratin: Omit the thyme. Distribute 3 cloves minced garlic and 2 teaspoons minced chipotle chile in adobo sauce over the second layer of sweet potatoes. Proceed as in main recipe.