- Mandi Sanders
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). meringue powder (level spoonfuls)
- 4 cups (950 ml) sifted confectioners sugar
- 6 tbsp (90 ml). water*
- Meringue powder can be found at most hobby and craft stores in the cake decorating section.
- When using large counter top mixer or for stiffer icing, use 1 tbsp (15 ml) less water.
- Beat all ingredients at low speed for 7-10 mins. (10-12 mins at high speed for portable mixer) until icing forms peaks.
- If are using liquid coloring you may need to reduce your water even more.
- I recommend using Wilton brand coloring and meringue powder.
- Their colors are in paste form and will not thin your icing.
- To dispense the color only dip the end of a toothpick in the color and then run it through the icing.
- Colors may change after the decorations dry (lighter or darker).
- These colors are very concentrated and one jar will last a very long time.
- You can create your decorations on wax paper, let them dry over night and then transfer them to your cake.
- These decorations can be kept in an air tight container at room temp for months.
- So, go ahead and make a bunch and store them for last minute desserts.
- I took all the Wilton cake decorating courses and love using this icing. Be careful...it isn't a cheap hobby, but it's a whole lotta FUN!