- Prickly Pear
Serves/Makes:1 10 cup bundt cake
- 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) sugar
- 4 sticks butter, softened
- 6 jumbo eggs
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) plus 1 tsp (5 ml) lemon extract
- 3 cups (700 ml) plus 1 tbsp (15 ml) flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- 3 tsp (15 ml) lemon zest
- Heat oven to 360 degrees (175 C.) and spray a 10 cups (2350 ml) bundt pan with PAM.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs--one at a time--mixing very well after each addition.
- Then add in vanilla and lemon extracts mixing until smooth.
- Mix flour with the baking powder, then add to the butter/egg mixture and mix for 30-40 seconds.
- Add lemon zest and mix for an additional minute.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes on wire rack.
- Remove from pan, dust with non-melting powdered sugar (available from the King Arthur Baker's Catalog)and let cool completely prior to serving.
- I live at an altitude of 6,700 feet and this recipe works very well. Enjoy.