Serves/Makes:1 tube cake
- 3-1/2 cups (825 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1 cup (225 ml) butter
- 2 cups (475 ml) white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) buttermilk
- 16 oz (448 grm). orange-flavored fruit slice jelly candies, chopped
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped dates
- 2 cups (475 ml) chopped walnuts
- 1 cup (225 ml) flaked coconut
- 1 cup (225 ml) orange juice
- 2 cups (475 ml) confectioners sugar
- Sift flour and salt together.
- Cream butter or margarine and sugar well.
- Add eggs, flour mixture, soda, and buttermilk; mix well. Fold in orange slices, dates, nuts, and coconut.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured tube pan.
- Bake at 300 degrees (150 C.) for 1 3/4 to 2 hours.
- Remove cake from oven.
- Mix together juice and confectioner's sugar; pour over hot cake while still in pan.
- Cool cake in pan for 20 minutes.
- Turn out onto cake plate. Cool completely.
- from allrecipes.com Submitted by: Barbara
"Excellent for the holidays. Better baked ahead of time. DELICIOUS flavor gets better with age." Original recipe yield: 1 tube cake.