- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) sugar
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups (700 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) grated orange or lemon peel
- 1 cup (225 ml) dairy sour cream
- Heat oven to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- Generously grease and lightly flour 12-cup fluted tube pan.
- In large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time, beating until well blended after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and orange peel; add alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees (200 C.) for 55 to 65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes; invert onto serving plate.
- Cool completely.