- Am. Diabetes Assoc. Holiday Cookbook, Betty Wedman,
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) unsweetened apple or orange juice
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) raisins
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped dried figs
- 1 cup (225 ml) canned or cooked pumpkin
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) ground cloves
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped walnuts
- 2 tsp (10 ml) grated orange rind
- Combine the juice, raisins and figs in a bowl.
- Let stand for 1 hour or overnight.
- Beat together the pumpkin, sugar and oil.
- Stir in the fruit mixture.
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder and spices.
- Mix well.
- Add the nuts and orange rind.
- Stir to blend well.
- Pour the batter into a lightly oiled 8 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Bake in 325 degree (175 C.) oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool thoroughly on a wire rack.
- Wrap in foil and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 1/2 inch slice - 160 calories, 1 bread exchange, 1 fruit, 1 fat 26
grams carbohydrate, 3 grams protein, 6 grams fat, 69 mg sodium, 221
mg potassium, 0 cholesterol