Sweet Potato and Yam Soup
- Yummy tummy warmer with a hint of curry
Serves/Makes:8 or more
- 2 large sweet potatos, peeled and cubed
- 1 large yam, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped celery
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped carrots
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). butter
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). curry powder, heaping
- 4 chicken or vegetable bullion cubes
- 1 tsp (5 ml). ginger grated or powdered
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp (5 ml). basil
- water to cover
- In a large pot, simmer onions and celery in butter until onions become clear.
- Once clear, add curry powder and ginger and mix till heated and fragrant.
- Add sweet potatos, yams,and carrots.
- Add just enough water to cover.
- In a small pot, combine one cup water and bullion cubes; heat just to a boil.
- Pour bullion into the large pot and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down to just a simmer adding remaining spices and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and simmer 2 hours, adding water as needed.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
- Very easy, and so tasty, goes well with baking powder bisquits.