Cranberry Cake with Buttermilk
Serves/Makes:1 bundt cake
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) sifted flour
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 1 cup (225 ml) whole fresh cranberries
- 1 tsp (5 ml). salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml). soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml). baking powder
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped dates (or raisins)
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped nuts
- Grated rind of 2 oranges
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup (225 ml) buttermilk
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) salad oil
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) orange juice
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) sugar
- Sift flour and measure.
- Sift again with sugar, salt, and soda and baking powder. Stir into the flour mixture, the dates, nuts, cranberries, and orange rind.
- Combine beaten eggs and buttermilk with oil.
- Add to flour and fruit mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- Bake in a greased and floured bundt pan for 1 hour at 325 degrees (175 C.).
- While cake is hot, heat glaze ingredients until sugar is dissolved, do not boil.
- Pour over hot cake in pan and let stand for 30 minutes.