- 3 cups (700 ml) flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). nutmeg (optional)
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). salt
- 1 quart (950 ml) cold water
- Stir flour, eggs, salt, and 1/2 cup (125 ml) of water.
- Beat until batter is smooth and no longer adheres to the spoon.
- Add water as needed.
- The spaetzle dough can be firm enough to be rolled and cut into slivers or soft enough to be forced through a sieve, colander or spaetzle-maker with large holes.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
- If you have a Spatzle press, press the dough through the press and into the boiling water.
- If you do not have a press, place dough on cutting board and roll out.
- Cut dough into tiny noodles.
- Add noodles to boiling water.
- They cook quickly and are done when they float back to the surface.
- As the noodles finish cooking, remove them with a slotted spoon.
- You can saute the noodles in 1 Tbsp (15 ml). of butter before serving.
- Other suggestions:
- Serve with a brown gravy or beef stock.
- If you don't want to use the egg yolks, use the egg whites and add some yellow food coloring for a nice color.