- Theresa C.
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml). water
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). baking powder
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 2 quarts (1900 ml) boiling water
- 5 Tbsp (70 ml). butter
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) toasted bread crunbs
- Beat the eggs and add milk and water.
- Stir in the flour, salt, baking powder and nutmeg; mix well.
- Bring the water to a boil and add 2 tsp (10 ml) salt.
- The spaetzle should be light, so check batter by dropping 1/2 tsp (2 ml) into boiling water.
- Cook 6 to 8 minutes and check the noodle, if it is not light, add a couple more tbsp water to the batter.
- Force the dough through Spaetzle maker or use a plastic bag for forming noodles.
- Put all the dough into a heavy self sealing plastic food bag and cut one corner off.
- Make the cut fairly small so that you can press the dough abouth the size of a pencil.
- Cut off 1 inch pieces and quickly put into the boiling water.
- Boil 6 to 8 minutes, remove and drain.
- Heat a large frying pan and melt butter.
- Lightly brown the spaetzle in the butter.
- Top with bread crumbs and serve.