- Theresa C.
Serves/Makes:60 sopapillas or more
- 1/2 package dry yeast
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) warm water
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- 2-1/2 tsp (12.5 ml) baking powder (1 tsp (5 ml) for each cup of flour)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) flour
- Powdered sugar (if desired)
- hot oil for frying.
- In a large bowl add yeast to water and dissolve.
- Add egg, milk and sugar.
- Mix until mixture starts to form.
- Add flour, salt, baking powder a little at a time and mix to a thick dough.
- Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Put dough on floured board and roll very thin.
- Cut into 2 inch squares or triangles.
- Fry in hot oil until brown.
- When done roll sopapilla in powdered sugar.
- They are great with chocolate syrup or honey for dipping.
You can put part of the dough in the refrigerator for a couple of days, if all is not used.