- The real thing from Mexico
- Memaw from Ellin
- 8 cups (1900 ml) shortening for frying
- 4 cups (950 ml) flour
- 4 tsp (20 ml) baking powder
- 2 tsp (10 ml) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) shortening
- 1 cup (225 ml) water
- 2 tsp (10 ml) cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) white sugar
- honey for drizzling (optional)
- Heat 8 cups (1900 ml) shortening in deep-fryer to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- In large bowl add flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in 2 tbsp (30 ml) shortening til resembles course crumbs.
- Gradually stir water til dough holds together.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces and roll each piece into 8" balls.
- Cut each ball into 8 wedges.
- Fry the wedges til light brown and puff up.
- Drain, and roll either in cinnamon and sugar mixture or drizzle with honey.
- Prep time 15 min. Cook time, 20 min. Cal. 251 Chol. 0 mg, carb. 30.5 g