- K. Cooley
- 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) all purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) whole wheat flour
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) toasted wheat bran
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) toasted wheat germ
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) old-fashioned oats
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) (1/4 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 cups (475 ml) (about) buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (225 C.).
- Butter 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
- Combine first 8 ingredients in large bowl; mix well.
- Add butter; rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles fine meal.
- Stir in enough buttermilk to form soft dough.
- Transfer dough to prepared loaf pan.
- Bake until bread is dark brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Turn bread out onto rack.
- Turn right side up and cool on rack.
- From Bon Appetit magazine May 1996.