- Chef Biba Caggiano
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 1 lb (.5 kg). dried cannelloni beans or white kidney beans, picked over and soaked overnight in cold water to cover generously
- 2 quarts (1900 ml) chicken broth, preferably homemade or 1 quart (950 ml) canned chicken broth and 1 quart (950 ml) water
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 oz (56 grm). to 3 oz (84 grm). sliced pancetta, finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh flat leaf Italian parsley or regular parsley
- 2 cups (475 ml) canned imported Italian plum tomatoes with their juices, put through a food mill to remove the seeds
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- olive oil, to taste
- Discard any beans that have come to the surface of the water.
- Drain and rinse the beans under cold running water.
- Put beans in a large pot and add the broth.
- Bring the broth to a gentle boil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- While the beans are cooking prepare the soup base.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the pancetta, garlic and parsley and cook, stirring, until pancetta begins to color, three to four minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and bring to a gentle boil.
- Season with salt and pepper and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Simmer until sauce has medium thick consistency, about 10 minutes.
- In a food processor puree about half of the beans with a cup or two of its broth until smooth.
- Return pureed beans to the pot.
- Add the tomato sauce and simmer four to five minutes longer.
- Serve hot or at room temperature with a few drops of olive oil over each serving.
- Recipe courtesy:
Chef Biba Caggiano