Vegetable Casserole A` La Foremole
- A delicious vegi casserole
- The Redwall Cookbook
- unsalted butter, for the casserole dish
- 4 large potatoes, scrubbed sliced sliced
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 turnip or 1/2 rutabaga, peeled and diced
- 4 leeks, cleaned and sliced
- 1 cup (225 ml) vegetable stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) breadcrumbs, preferably whole wheat
- 2 cups (475 ml) or 4 oz (112 grm). grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Grease a large casserole dish wiith butter.
- Arrange the vegetables in alternate layers in the dish, beginning and ending with potatoes.
- Pour the stock over the vegetables and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with a lid or with foil and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- In a bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs and cheese and sprinkle them on top of the casserole.
- Return the dish to the oven and bake, uncovered, until the topping is crisp and starting to brown, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- It's extremely good. I'm a pro chef and I love serving this to my family and friends. This just happens to be one of my most popular recipes. By the way I say THANK YOU BRIAN JACQUES for allowing me to create your Redwall masterpiece.