Grama's Homemade Creamy Chicken and Vegetable Soup
Serves/Makes:12 or more
- 1 whole cauliflower
- 1/2 small chicken with bone in
- 5 large carrots
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) parsley, finely chopped or dried
- 4 medium-sized potatoes
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) rice
- 2 cups (475 ml) peas
- Fill a large soup or stew pot 3/4 full with water.
- Add cleaned chicken with skin removed.
- Peel and add all carrots whole.
- Peel and add all potatoes cut in quarters.
- Peel and cut onion in quarters and add to the pot.
- Peel and add garlic.
- Clean and cut the entire cauliflower in 1/4s and add to pot (your pot will be very full, but this is okay, it will shrink as it cooks).
- Let chicken and vegetables boil about 1 hour on medium heat.
- When chicken is cooked remove from pot and set aside to cool.
- Remove pot from stove and with hand blender puree every thing in the pot.
- Fill pot with more water, put back on the burner, and add parsley, rice and peas.
- When chicken has cooled remove from bone and with fingers cut small pieces and add back to the pot.
- Let boil for another 15 minutes, then its finished.
- This is one of my childrens favorite soups, lots of vegetables without the chunks, creamy without to much starch, very healthy and delicious. Try it--I guarantee you'll love it!!!