Flourless Oatmeal Cookies
Serves/Makes:1 1/2 dozen cookies.
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) unsalted butter
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) brown sugar - scant, firmly packed
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- Melt the butter and set aside to cool.
- Place oats in a medium-sized bowl.
- Stir in both sugars and the salt and blend to break up any lumps.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, vanilla and egg.
- Stir this into the oat mixture, mixing with your hands or a large wooden spoon to work in the ingredients.
- Form into a large ball of dough.
- Chill the dough 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Meanwhile, prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper.
- Form the chilled dough into 1-inch balls and flatten down very slightly on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 13 to 17 minutes or until the edges are nicely browned and the tops of the cookies are medium golden in color.
- Cool well on the baking sheet (about 10 minutes) before attempting to remove, using a metal spatula or icing knife.
- The dough can also be brought to room temperature and flattened more when placed on the baking sheet to make a large, crisp and lace-like cookie.
- Keep the cookies refrigerated.