Watermillon Grillin' Sauce
- A unique BBQ sauce kicked up with watermelon
- Charley Powell
Serves/Makes:2 cups +/-
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter (yes, real butter)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) minced/chopped garlic
- 1 onion, pureed in food processor or FINELY chopped
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) black pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chili powder
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) brown sugar
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) Worchestershire sauce
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) bacon grease
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Liquid Smoke
- 1 cup (225 ml) catsup
- 1 cup (225 ml) pureed watermelon
- 2 cups (475 ml) water
- Combine butter, onion and garlin in saucepan and saute until well blended and softened.
- Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to medium heat and continue stiring for about 10 minutes, allowing all ingredients' flavors to come out.
- Strain to remove all remaining "pulp".
- Bring sauce back to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and continue to stir and watch closely until sauce is reduced down to desired consistency.