- Wonderful lemon cookies
- Tessa Thomas
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) buttermilk (or 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk and 1/4 cup (60 ml) vinegar)
- 5 tsp (25 ml). baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). vanilla
- 1 cup (225 ml) lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) sugar
- 7/8 cup (200 ml) all purpose flour
- 8 tbsp (125 ml) butter or margarine, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- In a small bowl or 2 cups (475 ml) measuring cup, beat the egg until foamy.
- Add the buttermilk and vanilla and blend well.
- Add the baking soda, one tspful at a time, sprinkling it in and beating until the mixture is smooth and the consistency of light cream.
- Add the lemon juice all at once and blend into the mixture. Stir, but do not beat (you want it creamy, but without a lot of air)
- The mixture will congeal into a pasty lump. Scoop it out of the bowl with a spatula and spread it on a floured surface.
- Sift the flour and 3/4 cup (175 ml) of the sugar together and use the fingertips to work it into the egg-lemon mixture.
- With a floured rolling pin, roll the dough out 1/32" thick and with the tip of a sharp knife, cut out 'angel' shapes and twist the edges up to form a shell-like curve about 3/8" high.
- Sprinkle on the remainder of the sugar.
- Brush each 'angel' with melted butter.
- Place the angels one inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.