- British/Canadian vegetable side dish
- Betty Irving
- l large eggplant
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 8 slices bacon, fried and crumbled
- l medium green pepper, diced
- l medium onion, diced
- l 14 oz (392 grm). to 16 oz (448 grm). can chopped or diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) melted butter or margarine
- Peel and dice eggplant.
- Boil in saucepan covered with water and 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt for 10 minutes. Drain thououghly.
- Saute onion and green pepper, add crumbled bacon and canned tomatoes.
- Mix in drained eggplant and place in casserole.
- Top with fine bread crumbs mixed with l/4 cup melted butter or margarine.
- Bake at 325 degrees (175 C.) for 45 minutes.