- Hyderabadi Style
- MeMaw from RebeccaKalakota
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Ghee (clarified butter)
- 20 whole cloves
- 9 whole cardamom pods
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 med. onion chopped
- 5 small green chili peppers
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) ginger garlic paste
- 1 (3lb.) whole chicken cut into pieces
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) plain yogurt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 6 fresh curry leaves (optional)
- 3 cups (700 ml) raw rice ( jasmine or white)
- 4-1/8 cups (975 ml) water
- 1 sprig parsley leaves with stems
- Soak rice for 30 minutes in enough water to cover, drain.
- Heat ghee in large skillet.
- Stir in cloves, caradmom and bay leaves.
- Stir in onion and cook til soft, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in chili peppers and ginger paste.
- Stir in yogurt, salt, and curry, and place chicken in pan.
- Cook for 20 to 25 minutes until only about 1 cup (225 ml) of liquid remains.
- Mix in rice, water, parsley.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 20 minutes.
- Check rice after about 12 minutes. If it's dry, add 1/2 cup (125 ml) water and continue cooking.
- Prep tme 20 min. Cook time 55 min. Cal. 570 Chol. 65 mg., carb. 70.4 g.
There is a more involved recipe, if you would like that, let me know. Hope you enjoy.