- No-Boil Sweet Potatoes
- T. Curtis
Serves/Makes:4 to 6
- 4 Tbsp (60 ml). unsalted butter, cut into four pieces
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml). heavy cream, divided use
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). ground black pepper
- 1 tsp (5 ml). sugar
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). sweet potatoes (2 large or 3 medium), peeled, quartered lengthwise, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Combine butter, 2 Tbsp (30 ml). cream, salt, pepper, sugar, and thinly sliced sweet potatoes in large saucepan.
- Cook covered, over low heat until potatoes are fall-apart tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Turn off heat.
- Add remaining 1 Tbsp (15 ml). cream.
- Mash sweet potatoes with potato masher.
- From America's Test Kitchen TV Show -- Boiling sweet potatoes in lots of liquid -- as you would regular potatoes -- is not a good idea. Sweet potatoes will soak up too much water, and the resulting mash will be a soggy mess. Better to cook them in a small amount of liquid. America's Test Kitchen found that a combination of butter and cream yielded the creamiest potatoes. Just 2 Tbls. of heavy cream (plus a little butter), along with the water released from the sweet potatoes as they cook, is enough to steam them into tenderness.