- Simple but tasty from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
- 2 small fennel bulbs
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) good olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) unsalted butter
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). russet potatoes (2 large potatoes/lb.)
- 2 cups (475 ml) plus 2 tbsp (30 ml) heavy cream
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) grated Gruyere cheese (1/2 lb (.2 kg).)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Butter the inside of a 10 x 15 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Remove the stalks from the fennel and cut the bulbs in half lengthwise.
- Remove the cores and thinly slice the bulbs crosswise, making approximately 4 cups (950 ml) of sliced fennel.
- Saute the fennel and onions in the olive oil and butter on medium-low heat for 15 minutes, until tender.
- Peel the potatoes, then thinly slice them by hand or with a mandoline.
- Mix the sliced potatoes in a large bowl with 2 cups (475 ml) of cream, 2 cups (475 ml) of Gruyere, salt, and pepper.
- Add the sauteed fennel and onion and mix well.
- Pour the potatoes into the baking dish and press down to smooth.
- Combine the remaining 2 tbsp (30 ml) cream and 1/2 cup (125 ml) Gruyere and sprinkle on the top.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours, until the potatoes are very tender and the top is browned and bubbly.
- Allow to set for 10 minutes before serving.
- From The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook by Ina Garten.
A great accompaniment to the holiday prime rib, filets, etc.