- 1 lb (.5 kg). flour
- 6 oz (168 grm). lard or butter or mixed
- 8 oz (224 grm). raisins
- 8 oz (224 grm). currants
- 1/2 oz (14 grm). yeast
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 6 oz (168 grm). brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 8 oz (224 grm). sultanas
- 2 oz (56 grm). candied peel
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) mixed spice
- Milk to mix
- Mix yeast with warm milk.
- Rub the fat into the flour and mix the dry ingredients.
- Make a well in the centre and add the yeast.
- Mix into a soft dough, then cover and leave in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours to rise, till twice its original size.
- Turn onto a floured board, place in greased tins, stand again in a warm place for about 20 minutes and bake in a moderately quick oven for 1 to 2 hours.
- When cold, cut and butter as for ordinary loaf - thin slices with plenty of butter!