The Real Thing Satay Paste
- Peanut Marinade
- 1 strip unwaxed lemon rind
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 scallions, white part only
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) light soy sauce
- 1 red chili
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ground coriander
- 1 tsp (5 ml) turmeric
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) white sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) unsalted roasted peanuts
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) crunchy peanut butter
- Put everything in a food processor and blitz until smooth.
- If the mixture is too chili-hot, add more peanut butter.
- Use the mixture to marinate fish, shrimp or chicken, which can then be either stir-fried or threaded on skewers and bbq'd.
- Left-over mix can be stored for 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge and used as needed.(But not if it has had raw seafood, meat or chicken in it!)
- Try it, it's better than anything you can buy.