- Allen M.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) white wine
- 4 cups (950 ml) chicken broth
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). fresh thyme, or 1/2 tbsp (7 ml). dry thyme
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) cubed potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) corn, frozen or canned
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) okra or more, ends trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) bacon, fried, drained, and chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml). fennel seed
- 1 tsp (5 ml). sesame seed
- 1 tsp (5 ml). coriander seed
- black pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cream
- Saute onion and garlic in oil until tender.
- Add wine and reduce for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat.
- Add potatoes and okra, and cook until just starting to get tender.
- Add corn.
- Meanwhile grind fennel seed, sesame seed, and coriander seed to a coarse powder.
- Add above spice mix to soup pot.
- Add bacon.
- Add ground pepper and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Test for seasoning, add salt if desired.
- Turn off heat, stir in cream, and serve.
- As an additional treat add some crabmeat or clams (canned or fresh) for a hearty seafood chowder.
The larger the okra, the tougher they are. Choose the smaller ones if you have that option.