- A nice moist homestyle chocolate cake.
Serves/Makes:8 or more
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- 2 tsp (10 ml) soda
- 2 cups (475 ml) flour
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1 cup (225 ml) boiling water
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, cocoa, shortening and eggs until well blended.
- Dissolve soda in milk.
- Blend milk into sugar mixture.
- While continuing to mix add flour and salt.
- Mix in boiling water and vanilla.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) until done (but not dry).
- Check at 20 minutes by testing with toothpick or broom straw.
- An old family recipe called Pribble Cake after our distant cousin, Louise Pribble of Dovecreek, CO, who first baked it for us in the 1950s.
Size of pan is not listed nor length of cooking time as one would vary in direct relation to the other.