Cranberry Apricot Compote
- 1 cup (225 ml) dried apricots (about 6 ounces)
- two 12-ounce bags fresh or unthawed frozen cranberries (about 7 cups (1650 ml) total)
- 1 cup (225 ml) water
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar, or to taste
- 3 large shallots
- Quarter apricots and pick over cranberries.
- In a 3-quart saucepan bring water, sugar, and apricots to a boil and simmer, stirring until sugar is dissolved, 5 minutes.
- Add cranberries and simmer until berries have burst, about 5 minutes.
- Finely chop shallots and stir into compote.
- Remove pan from heat and cool compote completely.
- Compote may be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered.
- A great substitute for cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving--sweet and tart with a hint of apricot flavoring.
From the November 1998 issue of Gourmet Magazine. Recipe also available at epicurious.com