Asian Bowtie Pasta Salad w/ Shrimp and Vegetables
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) peanut oil
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) soy sauce (reduced sodium or regular)
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) rice vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sugar
- 4 tsp (20 ml) sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) dried crushed red pepper
- 1 lb (.5 kg). medium shrimp, cooked, peeled and deveined
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 large broccoli stalks, stems peeled and julianned, florets reserved
- 12 oz (336 grm). bowtie pasta
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) red onion in 1/4 to 1/2 inch chop
- 4 green onions, chopped
- salad greens, washed (optional)
- Whisk first 6 ingredients in small bowl to blend;season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer one half of dressing to large bowl.
- Mix in shrimp and bell pepper;let marinate 15 minutes while keeping chilled in refrigerator.
- Heat large pot of salted water to boiling.
- Blanche broccoli stems and then florets in pot until crisp tender, about 2 minutes. Using slotted spoon, remove broccoli from water, drain and chill.
- Cook pasta in same pot of boiling water until tender but still firm to bite--about 12 minutes.
- Drain pasta and rinse with cold water until cool;let drain.
- Add onions and broccoli stems to shrimp mixture.
- Toss with anough additional dressing to coat.
- Toss in broccoli florets last so that they don't become mangled.
- Chill until served or serve immediately at room temperature.
- Line a large flat bowl with salad greens and fill center with pasta salad.
- An adaptation of a recipe from Bon Appetit, November 1997.
I have reduced the peanut oil and sugar and upped the sesame oil by 1 t.
To see original recipe visit www.epicurious.com