Superb Southern-cooked Collard Greens
- Truly Southern recipe for the greatest greens ever!
- Wanda Devereaux
- 1 bag prepared greens or bunch of greens
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) salad vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 c butter
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) minced garlic, or to taste
- 3 cups (700 ml) chicken/beef stock or more to cover greens
- 1 small slab fat back, optional
- Meld vinegar, olive oil, butter and garlic over medium heat
- in stock pot.
- Add greens, a little at the time, until wilted.
- Add stock to cover greens.
- Add fat back if desired.
- Bring to the boil and simmer till done, approximately 1 hour plus.
- You may substitute turnip greens, mustard greens, kale or a mixture. These were my father's Southern greens and there is no better way to cook them. Enjoy!