- Danish rice pudding
Serves/Makes:6 or more servings
- 4 cups (950 ml) milk
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) sugar
- 1 cup (225 ml) long grain rice
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) sherry
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (225 ml) ground almonds
- 1 cup (225 ml) whipping cream
- 1 jar sour pitted cherries.
- In a large pot heat milk up to almost boiling, (I microwave it to save time) and add sugar and rice.
- Set temperature on burner to med-low or low.
- Stir almost constantly to prevent burning or sticking.
- When rice is cooked remove from heat and chill.
- When rice is chilled add sherry, vanilla extract and ground almonds and stir well.
- Whip the whipping cream and fold in.
- Serve with sour pitted cherries.
- This is served after a traditional Danish Christmas dinner.
I have been making this now for 30+ years and I can never make enough.
My mother made this for as long as I can remember.
The clash of textures and flavours makes this a yearly favourite.
I hope you enjoy it as much as my family and friends do.