- Savory baked chicken
- Sandi L
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 1 whole chicken 3 lbs (1.4 kg). to 4 lbs (1.8 kg)., cut up
- 4 cups (950 ml) tomato sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) coarse ground pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried oregano
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) raisins (optional)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) oil (optional)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vinegar (optional)
- Serving suggestion:
- cooked rice
- Combine all ingredients but chicken in a 3 qt casserole with lid.
- Stir to blend.
- Add chicken and spoon sauce over it.
- Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Serve with cooked rice.
- I usually leave out the raisins, oil and vinegar.
To make this dish nicer I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I think I usually use just one 16 oz. can of tomato sauce.