- Savory Chicken and Rice
Serves/Makes:8 or more
- 1 6 oz (168 grm). pkg. Uncle Ben's "original" herb seasoned long grain and wild rice mix (not quick cooking)
- 8 or more chicken legs and/or thighs, skin removed
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) dry vermouth
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sliced celery
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped parsley, approx.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Pre-cook rice on stovetop according to package directions.
- Melt butter in large skillet.
- Brown chicken pieces and remove from pan. (Chicken will finish cooking in the oven.)
- Deglaze pan with vermouth--pour vermouth in while pan is still over heat and scrape all chicken bits from bottom of pan as it simmers.
- Stir soup in until smooth (a whisk works well for this).
- Add mushrooms, celery, onion and garlic and cook until celery is crisp tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (if desired).
- Cover bottom of 3 quarts (2850 ml) baking dish with cooked rice.
- Place browned chicken pieces in a single layer on rice.
- Pour soup and vegetable mixture over chicken.
- Cover and bake for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 20 to 30 minutes more. Do not allow chicken and rice to dry out.
- Sprinkle chopped parsley on top to garnish.
- If doubling recipe I use 1 can of mushroom and one can of chicken soup.
Rice may be cooked a day in advance and refrigerated.
Use a different mix if you have a favorite brand.