Sissy's Buttermilk Cup Cakes
- Basic cupcakes for decorating or just frosting!
- Karen "Sissy" Wommack
Serves/Makes:24 cup cakes
- 3 cups (700 ml) cake flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml). baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). salt
- 5 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) unsalted butter(room temperature)
- 2 cups (475 ml) sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml). vanilla flavoring
- 1 cup (225 ml) buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- In a bowl sift together the first 4 ingredients, the flour, baking powder, baking soda and the salt, and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium to medium high speed until the mixture is well blended and looks a lot like ice cream,about 3 to 5 minutes.
- With the mixer running on medium low, add the eggs one at a time, blended after each addition.
- To this mixture add the vanilla flavoring until blended in.
- With the mixer on low, start adding the flour mixture and buttermilk, starting with the flour and ending with the flour, mix just until fully incorporated.
- Line the muffin pans with paper liners and fill them each about 2/3 full.
- Bake on the middle oven rack for approximately 25 to 30 minutes, or until done.
- Take out and put the pans on a cooling rack and cool for about 10 minutes, then take the cup cakes out and finish cooling them on the racks.
- Frost them with your favorite icing.
I use Cream Cheese Icing. To each his/her own.
I have also used Sour Cream instead of the Buttermilk, works just as good.
Some people also add Almond Extract, about 1 to 2 tsp., but I am not a fan of Almond Extract, but you can add this along with the Vanilla if you want to.
I have played with several cup cake recipes and added and taken away and so on and so forth, I like this one the best for just a basic yellow cup cake. Makes about 24 cup cakes.