First Family's Whipped Sweet Potatoes
- The White House via People Magazine
- 3 medium sweet potatoes/yams
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) dark chili powder
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) orange juice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (225 C.).
- Wrap potatoes in foil, place on a tray, and cook until soft all the way through, about an hour.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool so you can handle the potatoes.
- Cut in half, and scoop out insides into a large mixing bowl.
- Add all ingredients.
- Using a whisk, blend potatoes until smooth and ingredients evenly distributed, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Salt to taste, and serve.
- This recipe is credited to the assistant chef at the White House named Sam.
It's nice that it doesn't have all the traditional sugars or marshmallow.
Notes from Kate who submitted the recipe:
This is the recipe as it was printed. I would cut the yams into rounds and microwave them, which would be minutes instead of an hour. I would mix the other ingredients together, then add to the yams. I would use a hand potato masher, as a whisk or mixer break down the fibers. Better to have some lumps than to look/taste like the dish came out of a can or box!
I would also reheat the dish because otherwise it sounds like it would be somewhere between lukewarm and stone cold by the time it's actually plated. ;-)