Chicken Breasts w/ Mushrooms & Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Savory but low-fat chicken breasts
- Mary Pat
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sundried tomatoes, packed in oil
- 4 5 oz (140 grm). boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) Gold Medal Wondra flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) dry vermouth
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) thinly sliced shallots
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). crimini or button mushrooms, wiped, trimmed and thenly sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) minced fresh thyme or 1 tsp (5 ml) crumbled try thyme
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) coarse salt
- Drain sun-dried tomatoes, blot dry and slice into 1/4 inch strips; set aside.
- Place chicken breasts within a folded piece of plastic wrap and slightly flatten upper portion of each breast with the broad side of a chef's knife to promote even cooking.
- Combine flour and pepper.
- Lightly dredge each breast half in seasoned flour (dredge just before cooking or flour coating will become gummy).
- In a 12 inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add chicken and saute until lightly golden, about 3 minutes on each side; transfer to plate.
- Add vermouth to skillet, turn heat to low and scrape any fragments left in bottom of pan with wooden spoon.
- Add shallots and cook until slightly softened, about 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and continue cooking, stirring constantly, for an additional minute.
- Stir in sun-dried tomatoes and thyme.
- Return chicken to pan and season with salt.
- Spoon a little mushroom mixture over chicken, cover pan, and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to platter, spoon remaining mushroom mixture on top, and serve.
- Original recipe is from a cookbook called Italian Light.
It called for packaged, dry sun-dried tomatoes to be rehydrated in 1/2 c. boiling water. These are not always easy to find and sometimes come out a little leathery but there would be a slightly lower fat content per serving.
Your call on that one. After rehydrating, follow all directions.
Italian Light estimates per serving: 303 cal., 9 gm. fat,
82 mg. chol., 287 mg. sodium.