Thai Chicken and Basil Stir Fry
- Savory chicken with Asian flavors
- Peggy C.
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 6 2" to 3" dried shitake mushrooms, or equivalent
- warm water
- 1 medium onion,thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut in 1/4" strips
- 3 cups (700 ml) fresh basil, whole leaves (packed)
- 5 green onions, cut into 1" pieces
- Cooking Sauce:
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) coconut milk, light or regular
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) soy sauce
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) rice vinegar
- 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml) nam pla (fish sauce)
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) to 1 tsp (5 ml) crushed dried chilies
- Serving suggestion:
- hot cooked rice
- Soak the mushrooms in warm water for 10-15 minutes, the squeeze dry and sliver.
- Combine ingredients for cooking sauce and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp (30 ml) oil in a 12" wok or skillet.
- Stir fry onion, garlic and ginger; set aside.
- Divide chicken strips into three batches and stir fry 1/3 at a time until brown (about 3 minutes)using just enough oil.
- Remove first batch from skillet and set aside.
- Repeat with 2nd and 3rd batches, setting all chicken aside.
- Pour the cooking sauce into the pan and reduce by 1/3.
- Return chicken and onion mixture to the skillet.
- Stir in mushrooms and basil and heat through.
- Stir in green onions.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.
- Editors notes:
Nam Pla, also known as fish sauce,is found in the Asian section of most grocery stores.
This recipe lends itself to modifications (like if you don't have dried shittakes). I used about 1 1/2 c. fresh sliced button mushrooms--skipping the soaking, obviously.
I chopped up about 4 little dried Thai or bird-foot chiles, removing most of the seeds since that is where much of the heat is. I doubled the garlic and used 1 T. of peeled and processed fresh ginger. By processed I mean in one of those little miniature food processors--great for garlic and ginger both.
1 can of coconut milk is about 1 1/2 c. You can double the sauce recipe and freeze half for next time (once you decide if you like this recipe). It is soooo savory.