Tomato Soup with Fresh Herbs
- Kate A.
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil (Colavita preferred)
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) chopped onions (sweet if in season)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh BASIL or oregano
- 1 tsp (5 ml). chopped fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp (1 ml). dried
- 5 cups (1175 ml) diced fresh tomatoes (about 2 lbs (.9 kg). equals 5 cups)
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2-1/2 tbsp (35 ml) tomato paste
- 2 tsp (10 ml). sugar (optional)
- Fresh herbs for garnish
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, basil or oregano, and thyme.
- Cook stirring often until onion begins to soften (about 5 minutes).
- Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, tomato paste, and sugar.
- Season to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender* process until smooth.
- For serving there are two choices:
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with fresh herbs and/or diced avocado, a swirl of sour cream or basil cream, roasted pumpkin seeds or whatever comes to mind that seems like it would taste good!
- Chill or freeze the soup. Pull it out and serve as soon as it thaws.
- If you don't own an immersion blender ladle small amounts at a time into a blender or food processor and blend/process until smooth.