- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) margarine or butter, softened
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 2-2/3 cups (625 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) dairy sour cream
- Optional: colored sugar for decoration
- Heat oven to 425 degrees (225 C.).
- Mix 1 cup (225 ml) sugar, the margarine, shortening, egg and vanilla.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Divide dough into 3 equal parts.
- Roll each part 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured, cloth-covered board.
- Cut into desired shapes with 2-inch cookie cutter.
- Sprinkle with a little colored sugar.
- Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake until no indentation remains when touched, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Adapted from Betty Crocker Red Spoon Collection: Best Recipes for Cookies by General Mills, 1989.
Not as sweet as many cut-out cookie recipes.