Sweet Heart Salad w/ Strawberry Lemon Vinaigrette
- Kate A.
- 2 cups (475 ml) to 4 cups (950 ml) baby salad greens, washed and dried
- 1 16 oz (448 grm). can hearts of palm, drained and rinsed
- 1 16 oz (448 grm). can artichoke hearts in water (not oil), drained and rinsed
- 12-20 fresh, ripe strawberries, washed and gently dried
- Strawberry Lemon Vinaigrette:
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) high quality olive oil (i.e. Colavita)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice (from 1/2 lemon--Meyer lemon preferred)
- 2 tsp (10 ml) strawberry preserves
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) coarse, stone-ground or whole grain mustard
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground golden flax seed (flax meal - omega 3s)
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) fresh thyme leaves (or 1/4 tsp (1 ml) dried and crushed)
- a pinch of each of salt, garlic powder, and black pepper
- In a bowl, combine the dressing ingredients and whisk to mix throughly, breaking up any large strawberry bits.
- Set aside to let flavors meld. If put in the refrigerator be sure to close the door (it's dressing).
- Place 1/2 1 cup (225 ml) greens on each plate.
- Select strawberries that will make the best heart shaped.
- Rinse with cold water in a colander and set aside to drain.
- Slice hearts of palm in 1/2" thick rounds; slice artichoke hearts in half lengthwise.
- Arrange both attractively atop the greens.
- Refrigerate unused portions in airtight containers.
- Meanwhile, gently dry strawberries with cloth or paper towels.
- Slice strawberries in half from top to bottom.
- Remove the stem portion of each half (yawn!) with a v-shape, creating the top of the heart shape on each strawberry. (optional)
- Place strawberry hearts (or halves) on each salad and drizzle with the strawberry-lemon vinaigrette.
- I found this recipe in Yum Food & Fun Magazine, F/M 2011 issue.