- MeMaw freom Alex. G.
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) oil
- 4 large red onions, halved, peeled, and cut in 1/4" slices
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups (475 ml) dry red wine
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) honey
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) red wine vinegar
- juice and zest from 1 lemon
- In a sauce pan, heat oil just til it barely starts to smoke.
- Add onion and season.
- Cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add red wine.
- Lower heat and cook til wine reduces completly.
- Leave on low heat while making dressing.
- In smaller pan, heat honey til it's bubble and froth.
- Cook til it turns caramel color, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and simmer a few minutes.
- Shut off heat.
- Pour honey mixture over onions and continue cooking over low heat til juice is absorbed and onions are like jam.
- Put in a bowl to cool and serve.
- Prep time 15 min Cook time 25 min.